Saturday, May 30, 2009

Day 8 - Manhattan!

My hosts for days 6 and 7 actually spent day 8 riding with me from Edison, NJ to the Newark Penn Station in Newark, NJ. That's a lot of time spent with us travelers, but is that all? No, they also drive me through the Holland Tunnel and drop me off at the trail in Manhattan. These folks, Mike and Anne Kruimer, have no end to their generosity (remember, they also gave me Mackenzie). The picture above shows them on the K-Train, a bike specially designed for them. Thanks Mike and Anne!




Day 8 brings us to Manhattan. This is the best trail I have seen so far. I don't get out to run as much as I would like because Dan makes good time, but the scenery is spectacular! I always thought that Manhattan was a busy place with too much traffic. That's why you have to love the East Coast Greenway - this trail was incredible.






The day finishes with my new host Oscar Hernandez and his neighbor Anthony helping put away the bike - Dan was way too tired! Then Oscar provided Dan and guests (e.g. Karen Votava) with cold beer, good music, and appetizers. This was followed by dinner for Dan et al. What did he cook? How about brown rice mixed with tomatoes, onions, various peppers, and topped with clams, shrimp, scallops, and lobster tail? Based on the way Dan was eating, this guy can cook up a storm! Thanks Oscar - you're going to be hard to beat!

3 comments:

  1. glad you guys made it to the bronx safely :) keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadie, can you ask Oscar to come to Maine and make that same dish whe you arrive?? Lobster here is 4.99 a pound right now!
    You and Dan look great and I look forward every day to hear how you are doing. We finally got some sun yesterday and a little today, but it's not very warm. I like it though, as you know!! Whata good dog! And a good person. We love you!
    Auntie Mary (Steive and Scout say HI!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does my heart good to hear that we've got the 'best trail' you've seen so far; I'm the guy you met near Riverside Park on that gorgeous late afternoon. I'm very curious about your next section; i.e. the transition into Connecticut.

    ReplyDelete